Monday, October 29, 2007

Objects of my desire IV

When my sister in law's mother died, my mum took her out and they bought a lipstick togther. My mum had never been close to Anne, but in (Anne's) grief they were drawn together, My mum provided a shoulder to cry on, and the lipstick was their first true bonding experience.







Years later she and I bought a lipstick together, identical brand, identical shade, and for different reasons it was also a bonding experience. Now we have this shared, intimate object, which we use everyday and which reminds us of one another, although we are far far apart. It is almost as though she is here with me

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous idea. Next time Mom and I go shopping, I shall purchase lipstick with her. Thank you for posting this.

Anonymous said...

Testing new settings