Thursday, January 03, 2008

Changing partners in the 5th Age

Last month I met an old friend Dan at a work function. The last time I'd seen him he was happily married with teenage kids. I, on the other hand, was going through my divorce. I was jealous of his seemingly perfect life.

Around that time, A mutual friend and colleague of ours, Terry, had left his wife of 35 years for a younger woman. Terry exchanged a long stable marriage for a high maintenance wife who had been single for a long time herself, she has many idiosyncrasies of her own. Worse she appears to expect Terry to worship her whilst seemingly loving her cats more than him.

Last month Dan and I were making light of all this. Having moved in with a new partner myself in the interim period since we last met, and, as you know dear bloggy friends, having had all sorts of horrible dramas and wake up calls, I felt emboldened.

"Terry" I said "should watch out. Changing partners in late mid life is a dangerous thing to do"

"It's is like moving house" I continued "You keep walking into doors, you don't know where the light switches are"

Dan is very funny, quick as a flash he replied "Yes, and in Terry's case its a haunted house".



My experience is also confusing. Although I don't think my house is haunted, there are trip wires and I never know when I am going to set something off.

I wouldn't say don't do it. What I would say is if possible check out the house before you move in. Look for something comfortable, and modern and easy to maintain.

2 comments:

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

I seem to have found a comfortable, modern home -- with ghosts in the attic. ;) Damn!

FI0NA said...

Yes, take a positive spin. The husband of my friend who has an autistic son said " you know, the thing I love about "Ben" is that he will never leave me, he will be with me to my dying day" it was so lovely to hear him acknowledge that this child may never grow up as we "the normal people" conceive growing up, but also to state his conviction that this was a good and beautiful thing. What a man! What a strong and good man!