It occurs to me that this is the first time in my life I have voluntarily given up something I love. I mean I, as and adult, have personally taken this decision to give it away.
I searched for analogies of where this happens to people
- A teenage mother giving up her baby in the 1960s
- A woman having her breasts removed because she is at risk of breast cancer though she does not already have it
- prosperous Jews, Palestinians, Turks, Greeks, Armenians, Hootus and Tutsis, who fled their homes and businesses
- Young people in love who are separated when their parents move cities
- A couple deciding to abort a much wanted but fatally flawed unborn baby
These are all more severe than my situation, but the thing they have in common is that the alternative is worse. Human nature being what it is though, in about half the cases it is because of aggression, intolerance, or disrespect that the alternative is worse.
In my case the alternative is to have a protracted battle with an abusive, disrespectful, manipulative ex partner.