Monday, November 06, 2006

It wasn't him, it was men

I married young and only had one partner, my husband, for most of my adult life so when I found myself adrift after our separation, I think I was naive about men. Like a sort of rip van winkle, I awoke from my marriage as savvy and worldly wise as an 18 year old college student, and (I assume) expected the men I encountered to be 18 year old college students - drunk, eager, inconsiderate and commitment phobic.

But they weren't

They were bald
They had kids
And ex wives
And baggage
And money
And had seen the world

But one thing I learnt, the more things change, the more they stay the same. Some of the things that irked me most about my husband, turned out to be not about him, but about men. Some of the more astute among you may point out that this may not necessarily be about all men, but the men I pick... none the less here I go.

All men like to win and argument, and will sulk until you come round.
All men have to be behind the steering wheel if you are both in the car.
Men are all hypochondriacs.
Men are fussy eaters - be it no junk food or nothing but junk food the job of feeding them is never as easy as it first seems.
Men are territorial

Now I know this I am no longer disappointed. Perhaps I have lowered my expectations.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny! I know what you mean